Thursday, January 20, 2011

Dear National Rifle Association

Hi, I'm Michael. Long-time member, first time caller.

I appreciate all the work you do for gun rights in the United States. Without you, we'd be Great Britain by now, or at least Canada. I really appreciate it, and hope you know I just think you guys are all super.

And I also know all about how the American Medical Association and the American Academy of Pediatrics have decided to engage in their own feeble way in trying to drum up fear of guns by advising their member physicians to ask patients whether they have guns, and try to talk gun-owning patients into getting rid of their guns or storing them in such a way as to make them useless for defense. I know they've advocated passing off those thoroughly discredited "twelve billion children a minute are murdered by guns" studies at face value as a scare tactic. I'm as pissed off about it as you are.

But dude, seriously? When I say I want government the hell out of my life and don't need them to take care of everything for me, I mean it. I do not need you to back laws that would make it a felony for doctors to ask their patients about guns. I think I can probably tell my doctor it's none of his damned business without a cop and a state prosecutor holding my hands.

Love and kisses,
--
Michael

No comments:

Post a Comment